Live Illustration Makes your Event Content Entertaining, Memorable & Sticky
Live Illustrator Matt Orley brings your content to life in real-time on big paper boards- creating additional attendee engagements throughout an event.
- Engage Visual-Learning Attendees
- Live Illustration In-Room Complements Speakers
- Words Live Beyond the Moments they are Spoken
- Attendees SeeYour Event as Fresh and Innovative
- Association Conferences
- Strategy Meetings
- Sales Meetings
- User Conferences
Live Illustration Brings Dimension to Linear Content
Yawning Attendees are Unhappy. Not all speakers for conferences and meetings can engage with an audience. Speakers can drone on and on, come unprepared, speak in monotone, or rattle off content that "could have been an email".
Clock-watchers, bathroom-breakers, and email-checkers seems to groan in unison because of the lack of stimulation at a conference session. Human beings aren't made to sit and listen for hours.
Big Paper Strategy's Matt Orley adds a real-time visual and active element to keynote, plenary, and meeting formats by taking large format sketchnotes for your attendees.
Benefits of Hiring Big Paper Strategy for your Event
Some of Our Live Illustration Clients!
Talking about Big Paper Strategy
"You were tremendous this week, man! Please consider MCCA among your fans.
There were a lot of consistent comments about the quality of the venue and whatnot, but the most consistent thing I heard was compliments on your work and what you contributed to the convention.
We'd love to book you for next year's convention..."
"So some exciting news for you… our Executive Leadership Team, specifically our CEO, was so impressed by this art piece that he wants posters made to put in ELT offices and other M Health Fairview venues to remind us of our ongoing work and connection to the community. How awesome!!"
"...We were looking to add major BUZZ and WOW factors for members to enjoy, and Matt delivered! Our attendees were fascinated by his process, giving him and the resulting illustrations major kudos.
...Matt adds a critical layer to the learning process and knowledge retention.
We can't wait to have him back!"
Dear Live Illustrator, What do I get when I Hire you?
- Real-Time Drawing: Immediate output for your audience
- Color Usage: Utilizes colors to highlight key points
- Iconography: Employs universally-recognizable symbols
- Visual Mapping: Creates diagrammatic representation of ideas
- Text Incorporation: Includes key phrases or quotes
- Graphic Metaphors: Conveys abstract ideas through images
- Sketchnoting: Combines handwriting with drawings
- A Keen Intellect (I'm not bragging, this matters)
- Multitasking Capability- Listening while distilling while drawing
- World Class Spelling
- Layering and connections: Depth to express complex ideas
- Showcases interconnected ideas
- Easy to work with and self-reliant - no babysitting needed
- Experience with scores of events and meetings of many sizes
- Research and Review prior to your event as applicable
- Onboarding web portal for onboarding, logistics checklists, and setup
- Headshot Stickers for major speakers
- Colored ink on white foam core boards, or White Ink on Black
- Canvas Sizes: 30"x40", 40"x60", and 48"x96"
- Customer-supplied unique materials
- Any size canvas is possible with a big enough wall
- Live Interaction: Glad to interact with your speakers IF they choose
- Audience Engagement - Listening Wall options
- Typical drawing speed: 16sqft/content-hour
- Creation of an artwalk when multiple boards are illustrated
- All content photographed
- Digital Enhancement: Post-production modifications included
- Sponsor Friendly - Visit our Sponsor Page
Answers to Common Questions
I illustrate association conferences, publishers conferences, user conferences for software companies, national sales meetings, CEO retirement events, strategic planning sessions, consumer panels, virtual events, brainstorming and creative events, and a variety of industry-specific gatherings.
I've drawn for as few as 10 people, or as many as 1800 within a single venue.
I have two answers to this question:
Time: A full day is up to six hours of drawing over 9 hours, and a half day is 3 hours of drawing across four hours. Virtual events have slightly smaller hour counts.
Square feet: For conferences with a fixed schedule of speakers, I may draw on six 40" x 60" boards in one day- or about 100 square feet per day. For events like strategic planning sessions that rely heavily on attendee engagement, the count may be only 2 boards, totaling roughly 33 sqft - these are often much more detailed. I can also draw on paper, constructed walls, and whiteboards - with any number of dimensions.
I charge by the day, and occasionally by the half day depending on flight logistic options. Local rates available within a couple of hours of my Cleveland area zip code.
Travel, lodging, and materials are accurately estimated up front, and charged separately.
Virtual events are charged by the hour. See the virtual event calculator at the bottom of the virtual event page.
At your request, you will receive a quote that outlines my services that looks like the below (2023 version). This style of quote is helpful to share with your decision-makers.
Increasingly, association, publisher, and non-profit events are booking my services and finding corporate sponsors for my services.
This win-win situation benefits the event at large, and the sponsor benefits from the visibility in a variety of ways.
I have been accused of having a background in tribal law, healthcare, and even petroleum by people in those respective sectors.
The truth is I leverage my education in engineering, my years in corporate America, my years visiting manufacturers across the nation, and my decade supporting those in the fight against human trafficking. As a live illustrator, my experience supporting dozens of industries in a wide range of sectors, government levels, NGOs, and across the humanities have given me the most general of generalists' backgrounds.
I pride myself on being easy to work with. David Blansfield of Northstar Meetings Group had this to say about me after a 2022 event:
Moreover, I know we all agree that your style – low-maintenance, self-reliant, easy-going, always professional – is doubly appreciated. You meshed really well with our team and our value proposition, which is very important to us!
I am highly communicative with published logistics checklists up to the days of your event.
I am also experienced in turning on a dime to make sure my services are best received (examples: having paper boards stolen and deciding to use the backs of the other day boards, having a speaker start in her promised direction, and turn 90 degrees in another direction, delays, abruptly short talks)
You made him look good. - Attendee upon hearing an unprepared/ lackluster keynote speaker.
When you provide dates for an event, I'll return to you a visual quote that outlines my costs. With your approval, this is followed by an agreement for signature and setting myself up as a vendor within your organization for a 50% down payment invoice. I will accept credit cards as a form of payment - with a 3% adder.
Expect a customized digital checklist for your project. This will include line items for travel clarity, content evaluation, material procurement & sources, any sponsorship discussions, and basic equipment (easels).
Check out my What To Expect page for more information.
Detailed Visual Quotes are Fun to Review
Ask for one today!